Hollywood's movie makers have been typically looking to Malta when they want a phenomenal, tranquil or unique location to movie their latest movie. Through the years, a number of motion pictures and television exhibits have already been filmed in Malta, a small island within the Mediterranean.
Filming in Malta started in the 1970s. One of many earliest films filmed in Malta is "Orca: Killer Whale." The 1977 movie starred Richard Harris as Captain Nolan and Charlotte Rampling as Rachel Bedford. The film introduced attention to the plight of the killer whale and introduced movie viewers to the gorgeous Mediterranean Sea and components of Malta.
In 1980, Sweethaven Village was created on Malta. The Robin Williams film was filmed in Malta, and the Sweethaven Village still stands at present. Though it is not getting used to film films, it still serves the island well as a vacationer attraction. The village is open to vacationers seven days per week and presents a wide range of household actions.
A Previous Engagement
The latest movie to be filmed totally on the island was "A Previous Engagement" starring Juliet Stevenson and Daniel Stern. The Canadian-Maltese co-manufacturing was released within the U.S. in May last yr. Together with the movie's opening, a competition was organized with the winner receiving an all expenses paid holiday in Malta, with lodging at the Xara Palace in Mdina the place the movie was filmed.
Other movies that have been filmed in Malta include:
* "Midnight Express." Some scenes had been filmed at Fort St. Elmo in 1978.
* "Increase the Titanic" in 1980.
* "Cutthroat Island." The favored Geena Davis and Matthew Modine film was shot primarily near Vittoriosa. Some scenes were filmed in Mdina, Fort St. Elmo and the Dingli Cliffs. Water tanks were supplied by the Mediterranean Film Studios.
* "White Squall." The violent storm experienced on this movie was filmed on the Mediterranean Film Studios in 1996.
* "U-571." The star-studded forged included Matthew McConnaughey, Jon Bon Jovi, Harvey Kitel and Invoice Paxton. The tanks used in the movie are the property of the Mediterranean Film Studios. One evening-time scene was filmed within the metropolis of Valletta on the Grand Harbor in 2000.
* "The Rely of Monte Cristo." In 2002, Valletta and Vittoriosa have been quickly remodeled into Marseille for the filming of this film. The lovemaking scene was filmed on the rocks near Fort St. Elmo. St Mary's Tower on Comino served as the Chateau d'If.
* "Pinocchio." The 2002 production of Pinocchio included scenes filmed within the Mediterranean Film Studios.
* "Swept Away." The 2002 creation of Madonna and Man Ritchie was filmed on each Comino and Malta. Madonna's snorkeling scene was filmed on the Blue Lagoon on Comino.
* "Helen of Troy." The 2003 mini series was filmed at Fort Ricasoli and on Comino at the Blue Lagoon.
* "The League of Extraordinary Gents." This 2003 hit starred Sean Connery and was filmed on Gozo at Xlendi. The submarine scenes had been filmed at the Mediterranean Film Studios.
* "Troy." The 2004 blockbuster hit starring Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom was filmed at Fort Ricasoli. Elements had been filmed in Mellieha and on Comino Island. The movie's producers used Malta's pure magnificence and ruins to boost the authenticity of the movie.
* "A Completely different Loyalty." Starring Sharon Stone, this film was filmed in 2004 at Fort St. Elmo, which provides a visual representation of town of Beirut. Elements of the film have been filmed on the Golden Sands Seaside.
* "Alexander." In 2004, Valletta's Grand Harbor doubled for the ancient port metropolis of Alexandria. The movie starred Angelina Jolie, Anthony Hopkins and Colin Farrell.
* "Gladiator." The Russell Crowe movie was shot at a replica constructed at Fort Ricasoli with a night time scene being filmed just exterior Vittoriosa at Couvre Port.
Seven islands about ninety three miles south of Sicily comprise Malta. The islands has a great yr spherical local weather and stress-free ambiance, corresponding to the climate in Milan
One of many major sources of income fo